Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 10:00 AM (for the Schools of Business and Health Sciences), or 3:00 PM (for the Schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering Technology) Instructions for Graduates
Commencement is a memorable moment for our graduates, their friends, families, and
the entire Farmingdale State campus community. This year, commencement will take place
in Nold Hall Gym. There are two ceremonies, one at 10:00 AM for the Schools of Business and Health Sciences,
and one at 3:00 PM for the Schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering Technology. Please refer to the main commencement web page for a list of curricula within each
school. Please be sure which ceremony you are to attend. Please let your guests
know that no backpacks, coolers or umbrellas will be allowed into the graduation area.
Furthermore, all individuals may be subject to search prior to admittance.
In order for your Commencement Day to be perfect:
- Graduates are required to assemble for instructions in Nold Hall Auxiliary Gym (follow signs for entrance)
in cap, gown and hoods no later than 9:00 AM for the 10:00 AM morning ceremony OR at 1:30 PM for the 3:00 PM afternoon ceremony on Commencement Day (Please try on your cap and gown as soon as you pick it up to
make sure it fits). It will take about one to one and a half hours to sign in, fill out "name" cards properly, receive
brief instructions and line up. Throughout the pre ceremony information session it
is imperative that you follow the instructions of the Staff, Faculty, and Student
Marshalls who are organizing the event. Be patient and understanding. Please remember,
graduation will take place in the main gym, so please consider the clothing and shoes
that you will be wearing. Please enter Nold Hall via the main doors. So that you understand
what to do and when, PLEASE make every effort to be on time for the instructions.
These instructions and line up take the place a rehearsal.
- By 9:50 AM (morning ceremony) or 2:50 PM (afternoon ceremony) we will begin the walk and line up in the Nold Hall corridors.
- At precisely 10:00 AM or 3:00 PM, the Commencement music will begin to play and the
traditional pageantry of the Procession will begin the 96th Commencement Exercises
of Farmingdale State. The ceremony should last about two and a half hours or less.
- It is important that your families and friends be seated PRIOR TO THE PROCESSION. NO ONE CAN BE SEATED DURING THE LENGTHY PROCESSION. Please let your guests know this in advance. Any guests needing special seating,
should arrive as early as possible, by approximately 45 minutes prior to the start
time of the commencement: 10:00 AM for the Schools of Business and Health Sciences
(guests should arrive approximately 9:15) and 3:00 for the Schools of Arts and Sciences
and Engineering Technology. (Guests should start arriving approximately at 2:15).
- Remember, all diploma candidates are REQUIRED to wear the traditional cap, gown, and hood. There will be no exceptions.
- Graduates will be recognized individually. The students will stand by row and be led
up the aisle by the Student Marshall. They will proceed to the left side of the stage
(from the audience vantage point) and hand the card they were given to the reader
for announcement. Students will then walk across the stage and shake hands with the
College President, Dr. Keen, as a photographer takes their pictures. Students will
then continue off the platform to the right and return to their seats. After all students
receive their diplomas, they will be asked to stand as the President will then confer
their degrees. All graduates will move their cap tassels from the RIGHT to the LEFT
- Shortly after this, the Recessional will begin with the President's Platform Party
leaving the stage followed by the faculty. Graduates will stand in place until they
receive instructions from their Student Marshals.
- Please tell your family and friends that ALL GUESTS MUST REMAIN IN THEIR SEATS UNTIL THE PLATFORM PARTY, FACULTY, AND GRADUATES HAVE LEFT THE AREA. Students and their families/friends should designate a meeting place outside the gymnasium. Please join us for a reception on the Great Lawn, between Nold Hall and Roosevelt Hall after the graduation.