Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS

Frequently Asked Questions

1.Who can live on campus?

  • Any registerered student who is in good standing with the college.
  • Preference for spaces will be given to those students who are matriculated and full time.

2. How can I apply for campus housing?

  • Submit your "Student Housing Application".  This form can be found in the packet sent to you by the Admissions Office when you receive your acceptance to the college.
  • An "Advance Room Deposit" of $50 is required to submit an application.

3. What are Damage Deposits?

  • Damage Deposits are calculated with your room rate.
  • Damage deposits totaling $175 include $100 for "Room Damage" and $75 for "Common Area Damage".
  • These deposits are refundable after check-out provided that the student is not billed for any damages.

4. What are Resident Directors?

  • Resident Directors (RDs) are college graduates who are full-time employees of the college. 
  • They are a part of the Professional Staff and supervise the RAs and the resident students of their area.
  • RDs have the full responsibility of managing their facility and overseeing community and student development.

5. What are Resident Assistants?

  • Resident Assistants (RAs) are student leaders that are employed by Residence Life to assist the Resident Directors and help maintain the residence halls.
  • Each RA is responsible for an area of their assigned residence hall and are required to hold programs that enrich the campus experience for their residents.
  • The RA is there to help all students with any problem that they may have.

6. How can I become a Residence Life staff member?

  • All staff members have submitted an application and have successfully passed a series of interviews.
  • For further information, contact Residence Life.

7. Is there visitation for resident students?

  • Resident Students have access to and may visit any occupied Residence Hall 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Resident students may have up to 3 guests 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Guests must sign in and leave proper identification at the front desk.
  • Overnight Visitation is allowed up to and cannot exceed 72 hours per guest within a 7 day period.
  • Please refer to "The Residence Life Handbook" for further information.

8. Are resident students required to have a meal plan?

  • Yes. There are several on-campus locations that the meal plan can be utilized.
  • For a full description of the meal plan and campus eateries, please contact Aramark/Dining Services.

9. Where are the laundry facilities on campus?

  • Laundry rooms are located on each floor in Orchard Hall and on the first floor in Dewey Hall and Alumni Hall.
  • All resident students should pick up their laundry card from Auxiliary Services Corporation each semester. The cost of this card has been satisfied through your room rate.

10. Where are there kitchen facilities on campus?

  • Kitchens are located on each floor of Orchard Hall and are open to all resident students.
  • The kitchens are maintained by the resident students.
  • Cooking utensils/supplies are not provided.

11. What items are not permitted in the Residence Halls?

  • Any unauthorized cooking appliance: microwaves, toasters, coffee makers, hot pots, George Foreman Grills, etc. are not permitted.
  • Other fire hazards include but are not limited to: lava lamps, candles, incense, space heaters, air conditioners, etc.
  • Please refer to "The Residence Life Handbook" for additional clarification.

12. Can new students have a single room?

  • Generally, single rooms are not offered to new resident students; living with a roommate provides each student with valuable experiences that are necessary for personal and social growth.
  • If you have medical or extenuating circumstances, please contact Residence Life directly.
  • Each student will be addressed on an individual basis.

13. Are there activities on campus?

  • Yes. The Resident Assistant staff plans activities throughout the week in the evenings and on weekends for resident students.
  • Residence Hall Association (RHA) is a resident student organization that also plans programs of all sizes throughout the year.
  • Contact the Student Activities Office for other events by other student groups.
  • Some popular events include: Bowling, Roller Skating, Movie Nights, Dances, Video Game Tournaments, Carnivals, guest speakers, etc.

14. Can I have a car on campus?

  • For information, please contact University Police.

15. How do I receive mail on campus?

  • Every resident student is assigned a mailbox in their building.
  • There are mail hours everyday in Residence Life and the main mailroom in Orchard Hall for package pick-up.
  • All mail/packages must have the correct campus address to ensure delivery.  Please follow the formate below:
    Student Name
    Orchard / Dewey/ Alumni Hall Mailbox #____   
    Farmingdale State College
    2350 Broadhollow Road
    Farmingdale, NY 11735

16. Can I have a telephone in my room?

  • Each bedroom has a telephone jack, however, students must provide their own telephone.
  • Your room telephone can receive incoming calls from any number.
  • Outgoing calls can only be made to other on-campus extensions.

17. What happens if I lose my key?

  • The student will complete a "Lock Change Request" Form with their Resident Director.
  • Until the lock change is complete, the student may be issued a temporary key to use.

18. What does my ID card provide access to?

  • Your Student ID card is your Farmingdale State identification and will list your Farmingdale State Ram ID number.
  • It is the front door key to your residence hall.
  • It will also give you access to Dining Services and the Library.

19. What is a Room Condition Report (RCR)?

  • An RCR is the form that states the condition of the room and its furnishings when a student checks-in and checks-out of a particular residence hall room.
  • Each student is responsible for completing this form for each room they occupy.
  • Without this form, students become liable for any damages in their room/ common area.
  • An RA can not determine billing. All billing is to the discretion of the RD.

20. What kind of media outlets will be in the room?

  • Every bedroom has a cable outlet for a television.
  • In addition, all residence halls are equipped with hard-wired and wireless internet.

21.  What does the residence hall bedroom come furnished with?

  • A bed frame and mattress - twin extra long
  • A closet or wardrobe unit
  • Drawer unit(s)
  • Desk and desk chair
  • Desk and/or floor lamp

22. Important Documents